Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Snowmageddapocalypse 2014: Part Deux or What Does the Ice Say?

Looking Out of My Window at Casa Nettles

I'm sitting in my pajamas today and looking out of my window at the yard and road as it's coated in ice. Yes, I live in the Metro-Atlanta area. Yes, this is for real. If you are reading this from some far way, Northern place, go ahead and laugh. Atlanta, and most of Georgia, has shut her doors in response to the sheet of ice that has covered our roads, trees, cars, and wires. We are lucky here at the house---we have electricity, food, and plenty of quilts. We are ok. At this point, I'm just praying for spring.

Wait, Where Have You Been Since May, 2013?

Oh...yeah...I sort of dropped the ball for a long, long time, which means my millions of readers have most likely dropped to ten readers (if you are one of my ten readers, thanks for waiting and waiting and waiting). Let's see...I went to St. Louis in July and that was massively cool. I went to the top of the Gateway Arch (if you've not done that, it's a must do. I'm so glad I did that). I housesat from August to December, which was a really interesting learning experience. I also learned that I hadn't lost my photographic chops. That was a thrill. My aunt passed in November after a long battle with cancer. I also lost a good friend to cancer in December (stupid cancer). The entire family went to Dallas. Texas to visit my brother and niece for Christmas, and also visited my grandmother as she celebrated her 99th birthday. Lots of crazy good things.

Ok, Back to Today

What's been interesting about this ice storm here in Atlanta is that there has been a lot of backlash from the first storm, which came about two weeks ago. For those of you who don't watch the news or weren't in the area two weeks ago, Atlanta was totally gridlocked because everyone was released from work too late to beat the coming ice. I know friends who were in their cars for over 24 hours. Gina was on the road for 7 hours and finally had to abandon her car to find shelter with friends.

This storm worked differently, in part, because people took the time to think about what to do before the storm arrived. Many of us have been off work since Tuesday despite the fact that yesterday was mostly rainy and lacked the temperatures to freeze things before nightfall. Some people thought this caution was stupid. I was thankful. I would much rather err on the side of caution than find myself or my loved ones trapped in an icy hell on the highway. Now, it seems that we may have the rest of the week off. Is this going to be hard on me and my students? Yes. Do I care. No. I'm safe and so are my students. That's more important at this point. We will find a way to catch up. No worries.

I like that I'm able to sit in my pajamas, knit, watch skating, grade a little, and be warm and safe. The ice says, "Slow down. Breathe. Don't fight this."

I'm good with that mentality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The author will post comments after approval.