Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Asking for Help: No I Don't Normally Do This, but...


Some of you may remember my daughter, Gina, from a few posts back. Let me tell you a little about my girl. 

She is a student at a local college, and is in her second year as an English Ed major. Her first love is art, and she paints. She is also a poet, and is, (and I say this not just because I'm her mama) really gifted. 

Her grades are really good, and she loves school. I don't know many people her age who are as dedicated to working in school as she is. She's a bit of an inspiration and builds my hope that there are a few folks in her generation who might possible be able to take over running the planet when I'm old. 

Here's the Problem

Gina has been trying to get a job for over a year now because the Social Security benefits she'd been getting since her dad died when she was fifteen. She had a bit saved up, but soon because of school, and rent and life, the money was disappearing fast. Unfortunately, the job search has been horribly fruitless. She applies, she interviews, and then...nothing. A few times, she has gotten a chance to work, and then things go south, not because she is messing up...she's not (once again this has nothing to do with me being her mom). The job she had the longest turned out to be a place that was more interested in promoting a possible chance at a reality show than treating their employees right. G was let go because she didn't fit their idea of the kind of girls they wanted on their show. It didn't help that she was vocal about certain inequities (wonder where she gets that from...). 

She was able, for a while, to make money by selling art, and doing and embroidery commissions. Unfortunately, it's often hard to make consistent money doing these things). 

In the last month, she has had to move out of the apartment she shared with her roommates from last year, when she was in the dorms on campus. Right now, she's living rent-free with a friend, but soon, she will have to move home. I'm ok with this. She would rather be out like she's become accustomed to, but reality is that living here may be the best option. It's not that she doesn't want to be here because we are uncool at home or that she thinks she is above living at home. It has more to do with her wanting to find a way to succeed on her own. She is beginning to think she's a failure (I know she's not, and I tell her that she has done fantastically), and I'm worried it's going to impact her studies.

I wouldn't even talk about this except that the kid has really tried. She has financial aid, but that's not enough. I can help a little, but as a single mom with two kids and lots of bills, I can't really bail her out like a lot of parents are able to do. I do purchase her groceries most months, and help out with things like clothes and shoes. 

Help...Please?

One thing that neither of us are really good at is asking for help. We are independent women, and want to succeed on our own steam. Sometimes, however, the independent woman has to realize that she needs extra help keeping things going. I can tell you that she is not a kid who goes and blows money on partying or clubbing or ridiculous things. This money will go for things like gas for her car, books for classes, and other basic living expenses. 

The other day, one of our artist friends (Lindsay Archer, who is a gifted painter) asked for help raising funds for a new computer on a site called fundrazr.com. I did a little research, and discovered that this site supported raising funds for people who needed financial help of any kinds, which is a little different than sites like Kickstarter (which is really awesome but is for projects-based fund raising and not personal "help me, God" fund raising). I suggested to Gina that she use fundrazr to pull in some extra money to help float her while she still continued to apply for a job. 

At this point, I'm looking at my millions of readers (I know you're out there) and hoping that you all are as generous as I imagine you are. Many of you only know me because you've stumbled on my blog, I know this.  Others follow me on twitter or maybe you are in that group of my readers who do know me and my little family personally and know the situation up-close and personal. Understand that I won't hate you or drop you or block you if you don't help out. It's your call. You know what you can or can't do.

Let me go ahead and say thank you.

Click here: Fund for My Fae Child 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The author will post comments after approval.