Tuesday, February 5, 2013

King of the Nerds or Being a Nerd is Hot (At Least It Is Now)

Life-Long Nerd Watches Cynically

When I heard about TBS creating a "reality" (translation:what sells; not necessarily related to actual happenings or people) show called King of the Nerds, I rolled my eyes and thought of all the ways a show like this could be used to make really intelligent and interesting people the butt of the on-going joke that involves anyone on tv who presents as intelligent, interesting, or different. What made it worse is that the hosts were going to be Lewis and Booger from Revenge of the Nerds (which, for the record, is a really funny movie). For those of you who are unfamiliar, here's the trailer:

Now, I want to point out that Revenge of the Nerds, by my estimation, did not do anything bad for nerds. In fact, it was a pretty positive movie. The nerds won by doing what they do best--being themselves. 


Still, I was worried that the new series would take things a step or two backwards. Nerds have stepped into the spotlight a lot in the last few years. The Internet has made nerds and the things many nerds are interested in,  like science, gaming, and comic books, almost mainstream. There are even famous nerds like Wil Wheaton (if there is a possible King of Famous Nerds, he's it) and the lovely Felicia Day. I think my reaction was fair. As a nerd myself, I have to fight the whole thought that while people might love me now, there is a good chance some sort of humiliation I did not anticipate while on my acceptance high is coming to punch me in the stomach and remind me that I'm not really as cool or acceptable as all that. 

My son convinced me to watch the premier episode anyway, and I told him I would watch until someone was treated poorly or was publicly humiliated (as I feared someone would be). 

Nerd Surprise

As the contestants introduced themselves, I realized that a wide-range of nerdom was addressed. There are gamer girls, LARP girls, an world-famous Internet hacker (although someone mused that if he was world-famous he must not be that good of a hacker), a neuroscientist, and math and science majors. These people take gifted to a new level. It's kind of cool. I know people like these people, and I know how cool they are, even as they are awkward and unsure sometimes. I speak their language and get their jokes. I still braced for some sort of nerd take-down. 

I was pleased that never happened. 

Nerdvana, the house where the contestants live together while they compete (this is something that must happen according to the Laws of Reality TV), is filled with all sorts of gadgets and computers and things that the contestants will find interesting and make them feel safe. The hosts extend that safe feeling by actually seeming to have a knowledge of what the contestants are talking about and doing in and out of game. Expectations are flipped on their head early, when one contestant is the last to be chosen for a team. I like that this happened because it's something that anyone who is a nerd has experienced, and it's soul-crushing, especially as a youngster. Instead of making this another soul-crushing experience for Alana (who is now famous for saying, "I've been losing all my life. That's why I'm a $@)#*! nerd!"), she is given immunity for being last. 

I found myself cheering! The show is respectful and funny. The contestants are people I'd like to know (except maybe Virgil, the hacker-guy. I think he's not nearly as cool as he thinks he is). Maybe the show will eventually turn ugly, but I doubt it. There is a positive vibe that is much like that of Revenge of the Nerds, and the best part is that the contestants don't have to face off against the "beautiful people." They just have to show off their mad skills. 

Being a Nerd is Hot

It's still something of a shock to see how being a nerd is now not necessarily a punishable offense. I probably am taking that idea a bit far, but I can honestly say there have been times that people have been less than kind because I enjoyed things or thought of things that were different than mainstream. I even had a teacher in high school who, in real plain terms, told me that I was probably going to hell for reading fantasy and science fiction novels. Looking back, I wish I'd looked at him and told him that I'd ride proudly into hell on the back of a dragon wearing armor and wielding a laser rifle in one hand and a hardback copy of Fahrenheit 451 in the other. Instead, I ignored him and continued to read my Piers Anthony in his class. As of yet, I have still not made it to hell (except that one time I went with a party during a game of Dungeons and Dragons my friend Ed DM'd. We kicked some demon ass, and one of my friends smacked a demon with a boat---no kidding). 

Present day, I'm told that Nerd Girls are hot. I wonder why this didn't happen sooner! We've always been hot. As much as I adore Felicia Day, we were hot long before she was around. We are shy and awkward and dance funny and sometimes dress in ways that are different, but we are hot. What makes us hot? We know stuff. We can fix your computers and teach your children (if you'll allow us). We are students of people and science and literature and life. We grow into people you want to know. We create things and dream really strange wonderful dreams that become the stuff of the amazing. 

Nerd guys have always been hot too. Look at Tesla and Franklin. Brilliant men who were attractive and engaging. You have to be impressed by a man who can create a death ray, or invent things like libraries and bifocal glasses. Nerd guys also know stuff. Knowledge is power. It's also really attractive when used properly. 

Conclusion

Watch the show. Make your own conclusion. If you don't know any nerds (something I cannot believe), get to know a few. We hang in places like bookstores, coffee shops, libraries, and parks. You may see some of us sitting around a table playing games and rolling dice. If you're nice, we may let you play too. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

The author will post comments after approval.