Monday, February 25, 2013

Story Shopping Update or Apex Is A No Go

So I Got This E-mail...

You may recall that I did a very bold (impetuous...crazy) thing on February 17, and it is chronicled in a post called "Writing, Publishing, and Facing Fear" right here on this very blog. If you haven't read that post, please take time to read that first or this will make very little sense. 

(Go on. Read. We'll wait right here and have some tea while we wait.)

At 3 pm today, I got an email from Apex Magazine (which still rocks, by the way), specifically from someone named Sigrid and copied to a guy named Michael. It politely said that my story was not what they were looking for at this time. Pretty standard fare. 

My Feelings

I'm really okay about this. I can take the story, work on a new draft, try a few other magazines, and maybe someone else will take it. It's not a crushing or even bruising (on second thought, yeah, it's a bit bruising---my ego twinged a bit) blow. 

I wish I'd gotten constructive criticism from the publishers, but maybe, just maybe, the story actually doesn't fit what they are doing for the next few issues. That's fine. I already have a few ideas of how to make it stronger. Still, I'd love to know what it is that doesn't work for the people at Apex. 

Even with out real criticism, I'm proud because I made the attempt. It's a step. Now I have to take another step and send it out again. 

At least I'm not afraid. Usually rejection makes me want to crawl back in the cave and not try for a while. This time---I feel different. Maybe I've reached an age where it doesn't mean as much when someone says no. Maybe I believe in my skill a bit more. I don't know exactly. I just feel like this is nothing that can hurt me long term. 

Thanks, Folks

I need to thank those of you who cheer me on and push me forward to keep doing this kind of thing. It's easy for a writer to convince him or herself that her journey is a singular journey. We do the actual work of putting the words on paper alone with music and our computer (or typewriter for the oldsters) as our companions. What is important for the writer to remember is that if they only work alone, then their writing cannot grow, change or get better. Writing begins as a singular journey, but, if the writer is honest, the journey is one that should be filled with people--those who cheer, but are straightforward and honest about those times the writer trips or falls along the way and are willing to pull the writer off the ground so they can continue. 

I am blessed with many people who surround me with love and honesty and encouragement. 

We'll get 'em next round.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The author will post comments after approval.