Monday, April 1, 2013

A Prank a Writer Should Never Pull on Those Who Love Her

What Not to Say When Pranking on Facebook

So about two hours ago, this is what I posted as my Facebook status:

I turned in my resignation this morning and will commence Operation First Novel immediately. This is a huge step for me, but my patron (who will remain unnamed at this time) has assured me that I need to take this step. This patron has also provided me with my own house and has paid off all of my bills. Thank you all for your support in this endeavor.
At the time, I thought it was pretty outlandish and funny. Looking back, I probably should have said "Sugar Daddy" instead of "Patron" because (1) the term would have been exceptionally out of character for me and (2) at least one person would have gotten a huge laugh out of me using the term since it is his theory that when I say "Patron," I mean "Sugar Daddy." Even using the term "Patron," I thought that most people would read and respond as my dear friend, Jennifer, did by saying, "Sure you did." 

Now please (especially those of you who responded differently), do not think that I believe that my friends are not smart. I have exceptional friends. Surprisingly, however, people responded in a very different way that caused me to rethink this whole idea (or at least the prank part of the idea...the rest is still pretty cool). 

How My Friends Responded

1. "Awesome! I am so excited for you!"

2. "And what a great day to make a fresh start!"

3. "Wow! I need a patron like that!"

I sat in the parking lot of Firehouse Sub on Powder Springs Street and watched my phone blow up with well-wishes and greetings. As the comments started piling up, I began to feel sort of bad. This wasn't people just being naive. No. These people really want me to do well, and thought I'd finally found that person, that one person who would help me do what it took to climb to my dream. My friend, Crystal, called me on it, and reminded me that while it was a day for pranks, maybe this one was a bit too close to people's hearts. 

What was meant to be a moment where my friends giggle and roll their eyes, turned into a moment of "Oh God. These people...they believe in my little dream."

I was stunned.

How I Responded

So I posted a new status:

Ok, folks. I know that some of you are buying into the Patron/writer post I made earlier. 

It's not real. It's an April Fool's Joke. I wish it could be real (and yes, [add friend's name here]...I know...Patron is really a Sugar Daddy...I know), but for now, I'm still teaching, still living with Mom and Dad, and still writing when I have spare moments. Still, your kind encouragement and responses have been very cool to read. 

Please don't hate me. ♥

I wanted to say so much more. I wanted to tell everyone that their words help me know how much I need to do this project. Their love helps me continue to believe when I have nothing left inside of me and stare at a blank screen trying to nudge the novel forward. I want them to understand that as much as we writers like to pretend that writing is a solitary act, if we are honest, we have to admit that for our writing to transcend, it has to be supported and encouraged by people who are honest and honestly love the artist and his or her work (by honest and honestly, I mean that the people are supportive but truthful when a work is really awful as well being kind when a work has merit or is really amazing). I also wanted to tell them that those moments when they say simple words like "I'm going to pray that this happens," really mean a great deal because I know that when certain friends say this, they will do as they say. 

Emotional Crowd Surfing

Amanda Palmer (who is such the stuff...you should read her blog...amazing woman) talked in her TED talk last month about how she loves crowd surfing. She puts herself in the hands of complete strangers and trusts that they will not drop her or hurt her. It's really cool.

I know most of my friends in real life on Facebook (not all of them, but most of them), so this is not exactly the same, but the principle is the same. When people extend that sort of love and support over my success (and my failures or weakness...I post about both or all), it feels like I'm crowd surfing. The kind comments and prayers, the moments spent in private messaging, the laughter and the condolences lift me up and let me know that I'm not silly in my belief that my creative endeavors are important. All of this reminds me to believe and trust and work harder and try again and again.

I don't write to please my friends or anyone but myself. Let me say that. My creative energy does not depend on praise. My creative energy does, however, thrive on positive support and input and lots of love. 

So all of you who commented on my posts---THANK YOU! I may still be living with my parents and teaching by day and writing in the margins, and I may never get that Sugar Daddy Patron( ;-p , Jon), but I feel the love. That's pretty cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The author will post comments after approval.