Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My Very Special Spring Break: Day Two

Invitation

A few weeks ago, Kathy asked me if I wanted to take a trip to Berry College during Spring Break. We have a mutual friend, Mark, who teaches literature there, and he had extended an invitation through her to come up and sit in class and then tour campus. I had no real plans, so I said yes. Even though I'm a Georgia native, I'd never been to Berry and thought it would be fun. 

Beautiful Berry College

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Berry College, it is located in Rome, Georgia, which is north of where I live. My only real connection to the college at all were via other people. My friend, Ed, attended and graduated from the college in the eighties. I once worked with a woman who was related to Martha Berry, founder of the school,and wore that relation as a badge of honor. Finally, Mark, who teaches there. 

Visitation

I have a love for college campuses. They are a place of comfort and home for me. If I could live on a campus (not my work campus...it's comfortable but not liveable), I would do so. Berry is everything I would want in a home college. 

As Kathy and I arrived, after an hour or so on the highway, I was struck by the rural, pastoral feel of the place. The long front drive lead us past fences where cows grazed and huge trees and green...lots and lots of green. 

We found our way to Mark's class...late. I found myself entering his classroom the way I used to enter classrooms when I was late. I was quiet, respectful, and made every attempt to slip in the back and not be seen. As the lecture and discussion proceded, I was reminded how much I lived for literary discussion, and how much I missed it. 

Then we visited his office, and then we wandered onto campus. 

When I say this place is full of magic, I mean this in the most serious way. There is so much beauty on this campus (it's the largest campus in the world...I mean, wow, right?). 

Chapel Window
Berry has the feel of what I imagine an English college would feel like. I think that's what Martha Berry must have had in mind when she dreamed the college and the campus and it shows. 

I found myself wanting to have an office that looked out over the campus. I'd open the window, which would look out over the green and the beautiful pools in front of the ancient looking buildings. I would write daily, teach daily, and then walk to my house on campus and have supper and maybe entertain friends. I could do this life. 


The paths beneath our feet were stone, and not smooth at all. It was very charming. I began taking pictures, mostly because some of the buildings reminded my of the city the novel I'm working on is partly set in. I snapped pictures for Melissa, sending them to her immediately with "OMG" and comments telling her what I was seeing through my fictional filter. 


We visited several chapels, and also the what is known as the Mountain Campus, which is 

Mill on Mountain Campus
three miles up a mountain. There is yet another chapel, and a pond. There is also so a mill that was built by students. It actually functions, and is used to grind corn once a year now. 

What struck me was the sense of peace and belonging I had there. The campus embraced me or I embraced it and I felt no sense of urgency, no pressure, not anything like that.

Instead, I felt energized. Maybe it was the sun or the spring warmth or the walking in nature. All I know is that when we drove away, I felt a sort of contentment. A contentment of having been there, and a contentment in being me in myself. The writer was happy and the woman was happy. 

We ended our visit gazing through borrowed binoculars at an eagle's nest, waiting to see one or both of the adult inhabitants rise from caring for their young. We were surrounded by people who had been there pretty much all day. They had picnics and camp chairs and cameras with high powered lenses, and they were waiting. I think they have something right here. They were happy and chatting about the eagles. There was no complaining. It was a party...over something natural.

Coming Home

The entire day was so worth it. I'm glad I decided to say yes and I'm glad I followed through and went. As we made our way back to 75 and to the world of Metro-Atlanta, I came to the conclusion that I need these sorts of adventures, especially since I'm in the process of transitioning from childhood mom to adult mom. It's moments like this that help me figure out and redefine myself. Maybe we all need to find those trips and those places and those people who can help us when we have to make transitions and relearn our way around ourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The author will post comments after approval.